The Good: This is a good travel insurance plan for individuals and families on general vacations and trips. It covers the essentials: trip cancellations and interruptions as well as providing medical and evacuation benefits just in case something goes wrong.
The Drawbacks: Pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver is no longer available on the Travel Basic plan. No upgrades for adventure activities or pre-existing medical conditions.
The Bottom Line: As the name implies, this is basic travel insurance protection for individuals and families on trips of 30 days or less. Purchase an Optional Upgrade for Flight AD&D and Rental Car Collision Coverage..
|Trip cancellation||100% (maximum trip cost $10,000)|
|Travel delays (5 hours or more)||$500 maximum|
|Baggage delay (12 hours or more)||$100|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Travel delays and missed connection coverage is combined into one benefit, and if a delay of 3 hours or more results in a missed cruise, additional transportation expenses required to join the departed cruise are covered.
- Medical coverage is primary.
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation and interruption include severe weather, natural disasters, transfer or loss of employment, destination host hospitalization, and more.
- This plan can be purchased as a post-departure plan, which eliminates the cancellation coverage and limits the trip interruption coverage to $500.
- If a travel supplier cancels your covered trip, an additional $200 is available for reissue fees charged by the airlines or for the cost to return frequent flyer miles back to your account.
- Includes up to $250 to transport a covered vehicle to your home if you are unable to drive.
- Evacuation coverage includes emergency medical reunion and return of minor children.
Optional Customizable Upgrades
Car Rental Collision Coverage
Up to $35,000 per plan for collision damage, vandalism, windstorm, hail, fire or flood occurs to a rental car while on your trip. $100 deductible.
Air AD&D Coverage
Up to $200,000 if loss of life, limbs or sight occurs from an accidental injury while on a common carrier airline flight.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- The maximum trip cost is $10,000 and the maximum trip length is 30 days.
- Available only to U.S. citizens.
- No ‘cancel for any reason’ available.
- No flight accident AD&D included in base plan (available with optional upgrade).