The Good: This plan allows cancellations due to covered work reasons like job loss. You can insure trip costs up to $100,000 per person. The free-look period is long – 15 days. The plan includes $50,000 in AD&D and higher trip delay maximums. The plan automatically includes an impressive array of non insurance travel services.
The Drawbacks: While coverage can be purchased up to 24 hours prior to departure, financial default, â€˜cancel for any reasonâ€™, and other coverages require an earlier purchase. Coverage for pre-existing conditions is capped at $50,000. â€˜Cancel for any reasonâ€™ coverage is capped at 50%.
The Bottom Line: Travel Guard is a leader in the travel insurance industry and the Platinum plan is their top-of-the-line plan, providing high amounts of coverage, a long list of covered reasons for trip cancellation and interruption and optional coverages to fill any remaining coverage needs.
|Trip cancellation||100% (maximum trip cost $100,000)|
|Trip interruption||150% or $1,000 return air *|
|Missed connections (3 hours or more)||$500|
|Travel delays (5 hours or more)||$200 per day/$1,000 maximum|
|Baggage delay (12 hours or more)||$500|
|24/7 assistance services **||Yes|
* Coverage for trip interruption and return air cannot be combined.
** Non insurance assistance services provided by Travel Guard.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- 24/7 Assistance Services includes Business Assistant services – an array of services to help you with business obligations – and pre-trip safety and health travel advisories provided by Travel Guard.
- 24/7 Assistance Services includes Identity Theft Restoration services, Concierge services, Travel Medical services provided by Travel Guard and $50 in Roadside Assistance (provided by a third-party).
- Financial default for cruise line, airline, or tour operators is covered (if purchased within 15 days of your initial trip payment).
- Pre-existing medical conditions that cause you cancel or interrupt your trip are covered if plan is purchased within 15 days of initial trip payment (conditions apply).
- Medical and baggage coverage is primary if purchased within 15 days of initial trip payment.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional flight guard coverage for up to $500,000 AD&D (cannot be combined with standard plan AD&D)
- Optional car rental coverage for up to $35,000 in rental charges (not available to residents of Texas or Kansas).
- Optional medical coverage upgrade.
- Optional â€˜cancel for any reasonâ€™ for cancellations up to 48 hours prior to departure (purchase at the time of the base plan purchase, within 15 days of initial trip deposit, and cover the full cost of pre-paid non refundable trip costs).
The following are the limitations on this planâ€™s coverage:
- Pre-existing conditions coverage is limited to $50,000.