The Good: This is a good, affordable, standard travel insurance plan with loads of options that let you customize the coverage for your trip. Select and pay only for the coverages you want.
The Drawbacks: The coverage limits are relatively low when compared to other plans, so if you encounter a truly disastrous situation on your trip, the coverage may not be enough. Trip cancellation and interruption relatively limited without the purchase of the Additional Covered Reasons Upgrade.
The Bottom Line: This plan is basic affordable travel insurance that covers the expected things: cancellations, interruptions, delays, lost luggage, medical and evacuations without a lot of thrills included in the base plan. You can, however, choose the extra coverages you want without paying for a lot of coverage you don’t need.
|Trip cancellation||100% (maximum trip cost $100,000)|
|Trip interruption||100%, $1,000 return air|
|Missed connections (3 hours or more)||$500|
|Travel delays (12 hours or more)||$100 per day/$500 maximum|
|Medical expenses||$10,000 ($50 deductible)|
|Baggage loss||$500 ($50 deductible)|
|Baggage delay (12 hours or more)||$100|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Customizable plan with good coverage for the essentials – select and pay for only the coverage you want for your travel plans.
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation include inclement weather (24-hour cessation of services), strikes, natural disaster, and revoked military leave in addition to disabling illnesses or injuries.
- Includes 24-hour assistance services for travel medical emergencies, concierge services, and more.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional car rental coverage up to $35,000 or $50,000.
- Optional baggage upgrade up to $2,500 to increase the limits on baggage delay (up to $400) and eliminate the deductible.
- Optional flight guard for up to $500,000 AD&D.
- Optional adventure sports coverage for expenses typically not covered.
- Optional accident, interruption, and travel delay upgrade that increases all limits and adds $50,000 AD&D.
- Optional medical upgrade to wave the deductible and increase the medical limit on the base plan.
- Optional ‘hospital of choice’ evacuation upgrade to increase medical limits and let you choose the medical facility.
- Additional Covered Reasons Upgrade provides for cancellation and interruptions in a number of situations: pre-existing conditions, financial default, inclement weather, required to work, layoff, terrorism, and more.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Medical expense coverage and baggage coverage is relatively limited, when compared with other plans, and a deductible applies ($50).
- Trip interruption is just 100% as opposed to 150%.
- The ‘Cancel for any reason’ upgrade doesn’t reimburse 100% of trip costs.