The Good: Ideal for individuals and families living outside their home country, and available to those up to age 74, this plan provides worldwide medical coverage where your own home country plan isn’t available. Available to U.S. and non U.S. residents and covering up to two dependent children (aged at least 14 days and less than 9 years old) free of charge with two covered parents.
The Drawbacks: Extremely limited coverage for pre-existing conditions with a very long look-back period of 24 months.
The Bottom Line: This plan provides basic and necessary worldwide medical coverage with scheduled benefits and predetermined plan maximums. Purchase one year of maximum coverage before age 75 for complete medical protection on a covered trip.
|Medical expenses||$500,000 or $5,000,000 ($70-$1,000 deductible)|
|Emergency evacuations||$25,000 or $50,000|
|Repatriation||$20,000 or $25,000|
|AD&D||$10,000 (24-hour)/$40,000 (common carrier)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Easy, upfront pricing available right in the plan summary and brochure, and you can choose your deductible.
- Offered in two plan levels based on geographical area – either inside or outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Includes coverage for pregnancy and newborn care (12-month waiting period applies).
- Includes well child care benefits as well as mental and nervous benefits (12-month waiting period applies).
- Includes preventative health care benefits for routine physical exams (12-month waiting period applies) and more.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- The waiting period for many non emergency benefits is a full 12 months.
- AD&D benefit plan limits are reduced for dependent children.
- Individual benefits such as lab tests, emergency room, etc. have defined limits.
- Pre-notification penalties apply.
- No coverage for pre-existing medical conditions.
- Insureds cannot be inside the U.S. for more than six months of a 12-month period.