The Good: Designed for adventurous international travelers who enjoy the thrill of a number of sports not typically covered by travel medical insurance plans. This is excellent short-term travel medical insurance, including hospital, medical, ambulance, emergency room and more, and is available to U.S. and non U.S. citizens.
The Drawbacks: The plan maximum is not high relative to other plans and the coverage may not be enough if the traveler is very seriously injured. There is no extra coverage for sports equipment and the coverage for pre-existing conditions is significantly less than that of other plans.
The Bottom Line: Offered by a reliable and respected insurance company, this plan provides basic travel medical coverage for travelers who typically don’t qualify for coverage.
|Medical expenses||$50,000 ($250 deductible)|
|Emergency dental||Up to plan maximum ($100 for sudden pain)|
|Emergency evacuations||Up to plan maximum|
|Flight accident AD&D||$50,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Emergency reunion reimbursement up to $10,000 if insured is hospitalized.
- Political evacuations up to $10,000.
- Benefit period is up to three months and it can be extended in 15-day increments after one full month of coverage.
- Trip interruption coverage up to $5,000 is included in base plan, as is coverage for lost or stolen luggage (up to $250).
- Hospital indemnity up to $100 per night.
- Plan includes access to a universal prescription discount savings program.
- Plan includes access to comprehensive, second-to-none assistance services for travel and medical emergencies.
- Register for IMG’s online support service, MyIMGSM, for access to providers, explanation of benefits, status of claims, ID cards, certificate documents, and more.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- No coverage for return of minor children.
- Pre-existing condition coverage is limited to $1,000 for medical and only $25,000 for emergency medical evacuation.
- No 24-hour AD&D or extra coverage for sports equipment.
- Plan is not intended for professional sports or organized, sanctioned athletic activities.
- The plan is not renewable (but it can be written for new periods of coverage).