The Good: Outreach Travel Medical Insurance is travel medical insurance for U.S. citizens traveling outside the United States with home coverage for brief returns to the U.S., and for non-U.S. citizens traveling outside their home country. It provides medical benefits and international emergency care, along with a few extras to help with travel-related disasters. The group version of this plan covers five travelers or more and applies only to U.S. citizens.
The Drawbacks: Pre-existing condition coverage comes with reduced plan limits. No political evacuation is available for trips to a country that has had a travel advisory in the last six months.
The Bottom Line: This is an excellent temporary travel medical plan with adequate coverage limits and good dental care coverage. Access to 24-hour global assistance services that are second to none plus a few trip coverages round out this plan for citizens and their families who are performing outreach services around the globe.
|Medical expenses||$50,000 – $2,000,000|
|Emergency dental||$50,000 – $2,000,000|
|Flight accident AD&D||$50,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Choose the deductible ($0 – $2,500) that works for your budget.
- Plan includes political evacuation reimbursement up to $10,000.
- Emergency reunion and return of minor children are each covered up to $50,000.
- Plan benefit period is six months with incidental home country trips up to a cumulative two weeks and the option to renew for up to 24 months.
- Universal prescription pharmacy discount program and 24-hour access to on-call medical professionals and assistance services.
- Register for IMG’s online support service, MyIMGSM, for access to providers, explanation of benefits, status of claims, ID cards, certificate documents, and more.
- Extend your coverage (up to two months) by one month for every five of continuous coverage at the end of the trip.
- Plan includes $25,000 in 24-hour AD&D, up to $50,000 for injury or illness due to terrorist acts, and up to $500 for identity theft assistance (loan fees, credit card fees, postage, etc.).
- An additional $100 per day up to $500 if you are ordered to evacuate due to natural disaster and must leave your current planned lodging.
- Lost luggage coverage up to $250 and trip interruptions are covered up to $5,000 if you have to return home for a covered reason.
- Hospital indemnity is covered up to $100 per night.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional sports rider for those up to age 65 for participating in hazardous sports.
- Optional enhanced AD&D rider for higher payouts in addition to the AD&D included in the base plan.
- The group version of Outreach Travel Medical includes an optional leader replacement rider to provide reimbursement for costs related to sending one leader home and transporting another to the group in the event of an unexpected death or medical emergency.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- The group version of this plan is only available to U.S. citizens.
- Pre-existing condition coverage is capped at $15,000 while traveling outside the U.S., and emergency evacuations due to pre-existing conditions are capped at $25,000.
- For those under 65 visiting the U.S., your coverage must begin within six months of your arrival; those over 65 must begin their coverage within 30 days of arrival. This requirement is waived with adequate proof of previous valid international travel insurance.