The Good: This flexible plan is offered in four benefit levels and provides broad medical coverage, including hospitalization, surgery, out-patient care, child and adult wellness, physical therapy – even coverage for mental and nervous disorders. No additional cost for the first two children up to age 9 for the first year. Choose your coverage area (global or global excluding the U.S. and Canada) for the best premium. Global Mission is a repackaged Global Medical plan (also offered by IMG).
The Drawbacks: This plan comes with a number of choices, so it can be hard to choose. The definition of pre-existing conditions is broad and coverage is limited.
The Bottom Line: Flexible, short- and long-term, annually renewable U.S.-style major medical insurance designed for U.S. missionaries living abroad or non U.S. missionaries around the world. Family friendly plan because there is no cost for young children (age 9 and younger) for the first year of coverage.
|Medical expenses||$5,000,000 or $8,000,000 (Platinum only)|
|Emergency dental||$500 (Gold), $1,000 (Silver), or up to plan maximum|
|Emergency evacuations||$50,000 (Silver) or up to plan maximum|
|Repatriation||$25,000 – $50,000|
|Flight accident AD&D||$25,000 – $50,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Choose your deductible from $250-$10,000 (50% waived within the planâ€™s PPO network).
- Four premium modes: annual, semi-annual, quarterly, and monthly.
- Fully disclosed pre-existing conditions are treated the same as any illness (Platinum only).
- Family deductibles are capped at three times the individual deductible (two times for Platinum).
- Plan includes $300-$500 for supplemental accident (Gold and Platinum plans only).
- Register for IMGâ€™s online support service, MyIMGSM, for access to providers, explanation of benefits, status of claims, ID cards, certificate documents, and more.
- Alternative medical treatments, including acupuncture, aroma, herbal, magnetic, massage, and vitamin therapies are covered up to $50-$150.
- After three years of Gold plan coverage, some benefits are reduced.
- The Silver plan is more budget-friendly and meets the essential needs of international travelers. The Gold Plus plan is comprehensive major medical for travelers who need long-term coverage. The Platinum plan has enhanced benefits and is designed for the traveler who needs comprehensive medical enhanced with dental, vision, maternity and more.
- injuries or illness due to recreational scuba diving is covered as any other illness (Gold and Platinum plans only).
- Non emergency dental care (after a six-month waiting period) is covered at 50%-90% with with a $750 calendar year maximum and a $50 deductible (Platinum plan only).
- Non emergency dental, remote transportation, global concierge services (bag tracking, pre-trip health advisories, emergency cash transfers, emergency travel arrangements, prescription drug replacement, and much more), and vision coverage available (Platinum plan only).
- Political evacuations and repatriation up to $10,000 (Platinum only).
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional term life and AD&D available (you choose the principle sum).
- Optional global hospital indemnity up to $100 per night.
- Optional rider for maternity and newborn care available (conditions apply, Silver and Gold plans only), but maternity and newborn care is included with the Platinum plan (with an additional deductible and some terms).
The following are the limitations on this planâ€™s coverage:
- Coinsurance applies inside the U.S. and Canada (80% up to $5,000 after the deductible; 90% Platinum plan).
- Pre-existing medical condition coverage is limited to $5,000 per coverage period. Plus, certain illnesses which existed or manifested themselves during the first 180 days of coverage are considered pre-existing conditions.