The Good: Comprehensive international medical insurance designed specifically for those employed as professional marine crew members without other access to major medical insurance. Available for individuals (not groups), this is long-term major medical coverage with optional term life benefits. Available for recreational SCUBA and amateur sailboat racing as well.
The Drawbacks: Pre-existing medical conditions and mental conditions are not covered until 24 months of continuous coverage. Coverage for emergency dental is very limited.
The Bottom Line: Offered in two levels: worldwide and worldwide excluding the U.S. and Canada, this individual medical coverage is ideal for boat captains and crew members working at sea. Help locating international providers is always available and Medical Concierge services will research medical facilities to help you choose the right place for a future medical procedure.
|Emergency evacuations||Up to plan maximum|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- This coverage is annually renewable.
- Medical care for pre-existing conditions covered up to $5,000 per period of coverage and a $50,000 lifetime maximum.
- Complimentary medical care such as acupuncture, aroma, herbal, massage, and vitamin therapy (when referred by a physician) covered ($50-$150 depending on the treatment).
- Wellness care up to $250 per period of coverage – not subject to deductible or coinsurance.
- Mental care up to $10,000 per period of coverage and $50,000 lifetime.
- Supplemental accident up to $300 for each accidental injury – not subject to deductible or coinsurance.
- Medical care due to recreational SCUBA is covered as any other illness.
- Chiropractic care (when referred by a physician) is covered up as any other illness. Without physician referral, itâ€™s covered up to $25 per visit with a maximum of 20 visits per period of coverage (not subject to coinsurance or deductible).
- Amateur sailboat racing covered up to $50,000 lifetime and $10,000 per period of coverage subject to deductible of $2,500.
- Hospital indemnity up to $100 for each over night in a hospital (maternity stays not eligible).
- Lifetime coverage is an option if the insured is enrolled in the play by their 65th birthday and maintains coverage to age 75. The plan then coverts to a new plan, the Global Senior Plan and coverage continues.
- Enroll in MyIMGSM, an online service that lets you access plan information and manage your accounts, request ID cards, initiate pre-certification, and more.
- Medical Concierge services help you determine the right facility for future medical services. Receive easy-to-understand information relative to the costs and features at competing facilities and make an informed decision without all the research work.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional maternity rider available up to $50,000 lifetime maximum (conditions apply). Newborn care and well child care included (limits and deductibles apply).
- Optional Global Term Life Insurance and AD&D is available for those under age 70.
The following are the limitations on this planâ€™s coverage:
- Pre-existing condition coverage and coverage for mental conditions only available after 24 months of continuous coverage.
- U.S. citizens must show that they do not qualify for other domestic insurance plans to be eligible for this plan.