The Good: Offered at two plan levels: Standard and Elite, and in three area ranges: Europe, worldwide, and worldwide excluding the U.S. and Canada, and in three currencies. This plan is international major medical insurance with some package benefits, including trip interruption and high baggage coverage. Amateur sailboat racing, underwater diving, plus a special crew member return benefit, along with optional term life and global indemnity round out this planâ€™s benefits.
The Drawbacks: Dental treatment for accidents and emergency care must be received within five days of the incident. Repatriation coverage is relatively low when compared to other plans.
The Bottom Line: Long-term comprehensive medical insurance for individuals and groups of marine crew members. This plan meets the needs of marine crew for worldwide medical coverage and adds a few useful travel benefits as well.
|Emergency evacuations||Up to plan limit|
|Repatriation||$13,000 Standard plan/$17,000 Elite plan|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- This plan is annually renewable and available in two plan levels for individual and group marine crew members.
- Designate one of three currencies for payment of premium and receipt of benefits.
- Dental care for emergency out-patient treatment is covered (if received within 5 days of the event) with the Elite plan.
- Plan includes accompanying relative travel and accommodations up to the plan limit if the insured is hospitalized.
- Elective treatment within the U.S. provider network is covered (for those who select worldwide coverage) up to $850,000 with 20% coinsurance.
- Compassionate home visits are covered up to $2,550 after 12 months of continuous coverage.
- Lifetime coverage is an option if the insured is enrolled in the play by their 65th birthday and maintains coverage to age 75. The plan then coverts to a new plan, the Global Senior Plan and coverage continues.
- Out-of-country legal expenses are provided up to $8,500 in the Standard plan and $13,000 in the Elite plan.
- Vision coverage up to $340 in the Elite plan (subject to 50% coinsurance).
- Trip interruption coverage up to $8,500 in the Standard plan and $13,000 in the Elite plan.
- Loss or theft of baggage and personal documents covered up to $850.
- Amateur sailboat racing covered up to $10,000 per period of coverage ($17,000 for the Elite plan) and $50,000 (Standard plan) or $85,000 (Elite plan) lifetime.
- Recreational underwater activities, including sports diving to depths of 30 meters, is covered up to the plan limit.
- Special crew member return benefit provides an additional $1,000 or $2,500 in coverage for crew members only.
- Enroll in MyIMGSM, an online service that lets you access plan information and manage your accounts, request ID cards, initiate pre-certification, and more.
- Medical Concierge services help you determine the right facility for future medical services. Receive easy-to-understand information relative to the costs and features at competing facilities and make an informed decision without all the research work.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional Global Term Life insurance and AD&D from $7,500 – $75,000 (age-based).
- Optional Global Daily Indemnity up to $100 per over night in a hospital.
The following are the limitations on this planâ€™s coverage:
- Routine physical examinations and mental treatment are covered after 12 months of continuous coverage.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions available after 24 months of continuous coverage and limited to $3,400 with the Standard plan and $5,100 with the Elite plan.
- U.S. citizens must show that they do not qualify for other domestic insurance plans to be eligible for this plan.
- Emergency dental treatment must be received within 5 days of the accident or event.