The Good: Up to $250,000 in medical coverage for non U.S. students studying in the U.S. It covers major medical, outpatient drugs, physician office visits and more at 80% up to the first $10,000 and at 100% after.
The Drawbacks: Applicable only to non U.S. students who are at least 14 years of age and under age 65. No medical coverage for pre-existing medical conditions for one full year. No coverage for dependents. The evacuation coverage limit may be low depending on the student’s home country location.
The Bottom Line: This is major medical coverage for international students studying in the U.S. This is essential basic medical coverage – and basic financial protection – for students studying in a nation with the highest global medical costs.
|Medical expenses||$250,000 * (lifetime maximum $1,000,000)|
|Emergency dental||$250 per tooth (for accidents)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
* Basic medical expense benefits per injury or illness up to $10,000 (80% after deductible).
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Deductible is $100 per injur or illness; reduced to $50 for treatment at a student health center.
- Includes bedside visit benefits up to $750 if the insured is confined to a hospital for at least seven days.
- Includes coverage for physician office visits, inpatient and outpatient medical care, and pregnancy benefits.
- Includes outpatient treatment of mental and nervous disorders including drug or alcohol abuse (lifetime maximum for inpatient is $5,000, lifetime maximum for outpatient is $500).
- Prescription drugs are covered at 50% of actual charges.
- Coverage for home country expenses included up to plan limits.
- Coverage is automatically extended for up to 31 days if the insured is hospitalized on the plan termination date.
- Access to HTH Global Health and Safety resources for drug translations, health and security news, provider network, and worldwide security information.
- Includes 24-hour global emergency medical assistance for evacuation coordination, medical monitoring, emergency cash transfers, and more.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Only applicable to non U.S. citizens. studying in one of the approved U.S. states.
- Participants may be asked to verify their visa status by entering their I-20 or DS-2019 number.
- Pre-existing medical condition coverage only after one full year of coverage.
- Coinsurance and deductibles apply.
- Dependent coverage not available.
- Coverage for motor vehicle accidents limited to $10,000.
- Sports-related injuries limited to $5,000.