The Good: Designed solely for non U.S. students studying in the U.S., this plan is major medical insurance protection for emergency medical treatment. It includes high limits for global travel coverage such as medical evacuation as well as adequate coverage for repatriation and bedside visits.
The Drawbacks: Deductibles and coinsurance rates apply. Applicable only to non U.S. students who are at least 14 years of age and under age 65. No medical coverage for pre-existing medical conditions for one full year. No coverage for dependents.
The Bottom Line: This is good medical and evacuation coverage – and important financial protection – for students studying in a nation with the highest global medical costs. The plan is renewable as long as the student is participating in full-time international education or research up to age 65.
|Medical expenses||$250,000 ($1,000,000 lifetime maximum)|
|Emergency dental||$250/per tooth (accidents only)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Deductible is $100 per injury or illness; reduced to $50 for treatment at a student health center.
- Includes bedside visit benefits up to $750 if the insured is confined to a hospital for at least seven days.
- Includes coverage for physician office visits, inpatient and outpatient medical care, and pregnancy benefits.
- Includes outpatient treatment of mental and nervous disorders including drug or alcohol abuse (lifetime maximum for inpatient is $5,000, lifetime maximum for outpatient is $500).
- Prescription drugs are covered at 50% of actual charges.
- Coverage for home country expenses included up to plan limits.
- Coverage is automatically extended if the insured is hospitalized on the plan termination date for up to 31 days.
- Access to HTH Global Health and Safety resources for drug translations, health and security news, provider network, and worldwide security information.
- Includes 24-hour global emergency medical assistance for evacuation coordination, medical monitoring, emergency cash transfers, and more.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Only applicable to non U.S. citizens. studying in one of the approved U.S. states.
- Participants may be asked to verify their visa status by entering their I-20 or DS-2019 number.
- Pre-existing medical condition coverage only after one full year of coverage.
- Coinsurance and deductibles apply.
- Dependent coverage not available.
- Coverage for motor vehicle accidents limited to $10,000.
- Sports-related injuries limited to $5,000.
- Routine care of newborn child limited to $750.