The Good: Long-term medical protection with a few package-like benefits to round out the travel coverage. Optional coverage riders round out the plan for adventure travelers, athletes, and those who need to return home once in a while.
The Drawbacks: Not available to citizens of all states. No coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. No optional add-ons to enhance the coverage. Deductibles and coinsurance apply with this plan.
The Bottom Line: This is long-term travel medical insurance for people traveling outside their home country for a minimum of 3 months, which means it is complete accident and sickness medical coverage with package-like benefits that provide financial protection against travel-related risks.
|Medical expenses||$500,000 or $1,000,000|
|Flight accident AD&D||$25,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
* Age limits apply after age 70 and 80.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Includes chiropractic care up to $35.00 per visit (10 visits maximum per injury).
- Choose your deductible from $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500, or $5,000.
- Includes coverage for lost baggage $50 per bag up to $250.
- Includes $5,000 in trip interruption if the insured must abandon their trip due to death (immediate family member included) or serious damage to the insured’s principal residence due to fire, flood, or other natural disaster.
- Hospital indemnity up to $100 per overnight included.
- Includes emergency reunion up to $10,000.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional hazardous activity coverage for activities like SCUBA diving, snow and water skiing, mountain climbing, and more, which are typically excluded from coverage.
- Optional athlete coverage for participation in amateur club or interscholastic sports.
- Optional home country coverage for incidental home country trips up to two months per 12 months of coverage (medical benefit reduced by 50%).
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Coinsurance applies for treatment inside the U.S. and Canada (80% to the first $5,000, then 100% after deductible).
- Waiting period of 30 days. The maximum payout for an illness during that time frame is $1,000.
- No coverage for pre-existing conditions.