The Good: The amount of time required for travel and baggage delays is short when compared to other plans. Both terrorism (foreign and domestic) and pre-existing conditions are covered (with conditions), as are mandatory hurricane and severe weather evacuations (with conditions).
The Drawbacks: The medical coverage may not be enough depending on a traveler’s destination and activities, and it’s only available if the injury occurs at least 150 miles from the insured’s residence. There is no ‘cancel for any reason’ or car rental coverage with this travel insurance plan.
The Bottom Line: This is a good travel insurance plan that will deliver the protection travelers need as long as they’re not participating in any adventurous (like parasailing) activities on their trip. It’s got all the necessary coverage as well as a few perks other plans don’t.
|Travel delays (6 hours or more)||$150 per day/$750 maximum|
|Baggage delay (6 hours or more)||$300|
|AD&D||$200,000 (flight accident)/$100,000 (24-hour)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation include terrorist incidents, hurricanes, and inclement weather (if plan is purchased before the storm is named).
- If the insured is confined to a hospital after an accident or illness on a covered trip, Amex will pay up to $100 (for domestic) or $200 (for international) flight changes for the insured’s return trip.
- Purchase the plan (and cover the entire cost of your trip) within 14 days of your initial trip deposit and Amex waives the pre-existing conditions exclusion (insured must be medically able to travel at the time of purchase).
- Mandatory evacuations are conditionally covered if your plan is purchased before the storm is named.
- Coverage for medically necessary dental care is provided up to $750 if the expense is incurred outside the 150-mile radius from the insured’s permanent residence.
- Plan review and refund period is 14 days.
- Trip cancellations for financial default requires a short 7-day waiting period.
- No medical deductibles are required.
- Money back guarantee applies to up to 14 days after purchase.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Cancel for business reasons coverage if the traveler or their travel companion is required to work (must be purchased within 14 days of initial trip deposit).
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- No ‘Cancel for any reason’ coverage is available.
- Medical coverage is secondary and applies only if the trip is farther than a 150-mile radius of the insured’s permanent residence.
- No car rental collision coverage available.
- No missed connection coverage available.
- No coverage for adventurous activities like parasailing, rock-climbing, and more.
- Trips are limited to 60 days.