The Good: Trip cancellation for terrorist events is automatically included for both foreign and domestic trips. The coverage for delays, like baggage delays and trip delays, requires a relatively short time frame when compared to other plans.
The Drawbacks: Emergency medical and evacuation coverage limits are relatively low, and medical only applies if the trip is at least 150 miles from a traveler’s home. There is no ‘cancel for any reason’ or car rental coverage with this travel insurance plan.
The Bottom Line: This is a good, basic travel insurance plan that will help travelers avoid losses as long as they’re not traveling to remote or dangerous regions.
|Trip cancellation||100% (maximum trip cost $50,000)|
|Baggage delay (6 hours or more)||$200|
|AD&D||$100,000 (flight accident)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- If a covered trip is extended due to a situation beyond the control of the insured, the coverage is automatically extended for a period of 72 hours without additional premium.
- If a covered person is hospitalized, the coverage for the insured and one traveling companion is automatically extended for the period of hospital confinement and an additional 5 days.
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation include illness or injury, death of a family member, financial default, labor disputes, assault, and terrorist acts (domestic and foreign).
- Purchase the plan (and cover the entire cost of your trip) within 14 days of your initial trip deposit and Amex waives the pre-existing conditions exclusion (insured must be medically able to travel at the time of purchase).
- The look back period for pre-existing conditions is 60 days.
- Flight change costs due to an injury or illness that leaves the insured in a hospital are covered up to $100 for domestic flights and $200 for international flights (not payable on tickets with an open return date).
- Pre-trip planning resources are included.
- No medical deductibles are required.
- Trip cancellations for financial default requires a short 7-day waiting period.
- Money back guarantee applies up to the day before departure.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Medical coverage is secondary and applies only if the trip is farther than a 150-mile radius of the insured’s permanent residence.
- Trips are limited to 31 consecutive days in length.
- No trip delay or missed connection coverage.
- Medical and evacuation coverage is relatively low.
- No ‘cancel for any reason’ or ‘cancel for work reason’ coverage.
- No coverage for adventurous sports or hazardous activities.