Air travel is no longer as fun as it once was and as the airlines have gotten stingier and stingier, travelers have had to find ways to be comfortable while traveling and still get everything through security.
The following are 5 absolute essentials no traveler should board an airplane without:
- Essential medications – things to keep in your carry-on include all essential prescription medications. If you are separated from your bags for a significant amount of time, have what you need to stay healthy. This is especially true for people with diabetes and those who experience sudden attacks of asthma, for example.
- Personal care items – nasal sprays, spare contact lenses, your own toothbrush and toothpaste can all make you feel more comfortable even if you are on a flight for a very long time. Think about what will keep you comfortable on a long layover and stick those in your carry-on.
- A little food – in the past, the airlines were much more generous with food and drinks, but as they’ve tightened their belts, it leaves passengers responsible for their snack needs. These days, it’s super easy to get pre-packaged snacks or stick a piece of fruit in your bag.
- A water bottle – empty it before security and fill it up after you get through. This way, you’ll stay hydrated on the flight even if the flight attendants can’t get to serving drinks.
- Your credit card – cold hard cash no longer gets the respect it deserves. Everyone wants plastic. If you’re at 35,000 feet and just have to get something to drink or see how that movie turns out, you’ll need your plastic.
Of course, last – but not least – is your brand of entertainment. Flight time is forced down time, so bring what you need to get through – music, games, e-readers, magazines, whatever. For some people, flight time is nap time, and they may want to bring eye shades, a light blanket, noise-canceling headphones, even a sleep aid.