The Good: Worldwide health insurance excluding travel to the U.S., this plan is designed for expats leaving their home country for more than 3 months. Travelers should have health insurance for visits back home, you can define your deductible and prescription benefits. Choose providers in or out of the network. Can be used on its own or with a domestic health plan.
The Drawbacks: Medical benefits for pre-existing conditions are not available for the first 6 months of coverage (except for newborns and newly adopted children).
The Bottom Line: Comprehensive major medical insurance for emergency medical, preventative medical care, prescriptions and more for expats leaving the U.S.. The unlimited lifetime maximum makes this a great plan for year-over-year coverage for medical emergencies and preventative medical care when you’re outside the U.S.
|Medical expenses||No limit|
|Emergency dental||$500 per calendar year maximum (injury only)|
|Emergency evacuations||$250,000 (medical only)|
|Repatriation||$25,000 (outside the U.S. only)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Unlimited lifetime maximum on medical expenses.
- Ambulance, physical and occupational therapy treatment included as well as mental health.
- Eligible dependents can get coverage up to their 26th birthday.
- Treatment for mental, emotional, or functional nervous disorders calendar covered (with limits and conditions).
- Treatment for alcoholism and substance abuse included (with limits and conditions)
- Preventative care (subject to coinsurance maximums) for children and adults included with paid deductible.
- Normal pregnancy and maternity care covered.
- Deductible waived when visiting a GeoBlue contracted provider.
The following are the optional coverage available with this plan:
- Vision Care – up to 70% of expenses covered each calendar year up to $250
- Dental Care – 100% of preventative care and 80% primary dental services – orthodontics and major dental subject to limits and maximums
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Prescription drug benefit limited to a $500 maximum per year.
- Eligible members must reside outside their home country for a period of more than three months.
- Travelers must be under age 75.
- The extension of benefits is not applicable if the policy is replaced by another carrier with equivalent or greater benefits.
- Emergency room visits that do not result in admission subject to a $100 penalty.
- Pre-existing conditions are subjected to a 6-month look-back period (not applicable to newborns and newly adopted children)