The Good: Worldwide international medical health insurance designed for crew members. Select from a range of deductibles and rates. Choose providers in or out of the network. Available to legal residents of the U.S. (citizens and foreign nationals) traveling outside their home country, age 74 and younger, as well as their spouse and children. Includes coverage for sailboat racing and alcohol-related injuries.
The Drawbacks: Medical benefits for pre-existing conditions are not available for the first 12 months of coverage (except for newborns and newly adopted children). Dental coverage is limited.
The Bottom Line: Comprehensive major medical insurance for emergency medical, preventative medical care, prescriptions and more for boat crew. The unlimited lifetime maximum makes this a great plan for year-over-year coverage for medical emergencies and preventative medical care.
|Medical expenses||No limit|
|Emergency dental||$500 per calendar year maximum (injury only)|
|Emergency evacuations||$250,000 (medical only)|
|Repatriation||$25,000 (outside the U.S. only)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Unlimited lifetime maximum on medical expenses.
- Choose your deductible and coverage limits by tier
- Plans offered in three tiers: 100% outside the U.S., 80% in network in the U.S., and 60% out of network inside the U.S. for outpatient and inpatient medical care.
- Ambulance, physical and occupational therapy treatment included as well as mental health.
- Eligible dependents can get coverage up to their 26th birthday.
- Treatment for mental, emotional, or functional nervous disorders calendar covered (with limits and conditions).
- Treatment for alcoholism and substance abuse included (with limits and conditions)
- Preventative care (subject to coinsurance maximums) for children and adults included with paid deductible.
- Normal pregnancy and maternity care covered.
- Prescription drugs covered.
- Copayment waived when visiting a GeoBlue contracted provider.
The following are the limitations on this planâ€™s coverage:
- Primary care office visits limited to 4 per year.
- Prescription drug benefit limited to a $1,000 maximum per year.
- Eligible members must reside outside their home country for a period of more than three months.
- Travelers must be under age 75.
- The extension of benefits is not applicable if the policy is replaced by another carrier with equivalent or greater benefits.
- Emergency room visits that do not result in admission subject to a $100 penalty.
- Dental treatment is limited to injuries only.
Related GeoBlue International Health Insurance Plans
- Trekker Choice
- Trekker Essential