Summary: Package plans are the most popular because they offer the most comprehensive travel coverage.
Best for: Vacations, cruises, family trips, business trips, senior travel, and all general travel.
Extras: Special coverage available for travelers with specific interests: scuba divers, athletes, golfers, and more.
Comprehensive coverage in a single plan
A package plan takes lots of different travel coverages and packages them into comprehensive coverage for individuals, couples, families, and groups of all ages. Package plans are available for both domestic and international travel.
Key difference is cancellation
Package plans are the only types of travel insurance plans that offer the ability to cancel your trip for a covered reason and receive up to 100% reimbursement for your pre-paid non refundable trip costs.
Travel insurance package plans provide the most coverage
- Cancellations due to hurricanes, job loss, family illness, and more
- Interruptions due to injuries, illnesses, problems back home, and the like
- Baggage losses due to theft, damage, or delays
- Medical emergencies and accidents
- Emergency evacuations and repatriation of remains
- Missed connections and travel delays due to severe weather
- Assistance services for transportation, locating medical care, and more
- Pre-existing condition exclusion waivers
- ‘Cancel for any reason’ option expands the covered reasons for trip cancellation
For more information about these coverages, see our travel insurance coverage section
Package plans cost between 4 and 8% of the trip cost
Most companies offer package plans with various coverage levels.
- Budget plans cover the basics. These are great for travelers on a budget who want to protect their non refundable costs and avoid unexpected bills on their trip.
- Standard plans have all the basic coverage with adequate limits for trip interruption and medical, and slightly higher limits on baggage, missed connections, and travel delays.
- Premium plans have the most coverage, often include ‘cancel for any reason’ and other specialty coverage in the price, and the highest coverage limits.
Package plans are easy and quick to purchase
Get instant quotes and buy online
To get a quote for your travel insurance plan, you will need the:
- travel dates
- total trip cost
- the ages of the travelers
To purchase the travel plan you choose, you’ll need the full name of each traveler, their dates of birth, and your payment information: name, credit card number, expiration date, etc.
Once you purchase your travel plan, you’ll receive an e-mail confirmation with additional information.
All travel plans come with a free 10- to 14-day ‘free look’ period. Use this time to review the policy for what is covered and what is not. If you have to make changes to your policy, this is the time to do it. If you decide to cancel your policy, you’re entitled to a full refund (minus a small administrative fee) during this period.