This show is not for everyone.
But if you’re a biker, have a motorcycle, know a biker, or have seen Easy Rider…it’s for you.
Ben Van Leewarden runs Planet Chopper, a business that plans and operates guided USA motorcycle tours with small groups of up to 15 bikes.
They handle route planning, lodging, dining options, know all the cool places to see, and even have a support vehicle that follows with a mechanic and extra bike parts.
In short, it’s pretty worry-free.
But, he does have some tips and advice for getting ready for a trip like this, what to do, and what not to do.
Selected Links from the Episode
Show Notes & Timestamps
- Who is the typical rider on these tours? 00:02:00
- What is the main appeal of a guided tour? 00:02:40
- What experience level is typical? 00:04:07
- How to prepare for a group tour like this 00:05:11
- The gear you need to bring 00:06:01
- The “guardian angel” on the road 00:07:23
- Common mistakes to avoid 00:12:14
- What is a “sweep rider”? 00:13:34
- Common myths about a motorcycle tour to dispel 00:14:15
- Are bikers really big and bad? 00:15:07
- Custom tours like Route 66 00:16:56