Our guest today is parenting coach, author, and speaker Melissa Schwartz from LeadingEdgeParenting.com.
Melissa has advice today for any family considering taking a travel or gap year due to coronavirus.
The fall reopening plan for many schools has parents pondering taking a year off…but with that comes many concerns about school, family dynamics, and just getting along.
Melissa shares tips about the importance of boundaries and routines, natural learning, and other parenting tips for these tough times.
Selected Links from the Episode
- Melissa on LinkedIn
- Melissa on Twitter
- Leading Edge Parenting
- Maslow’s Pyramid of Needs
- The book from Melissa and Sandi Schwartz: Authentic Parenting Power: Shift Your Thoughts, Change Their Behavior
- Melissa’s Facebook group for parents of highly sensitive children
Show Notes & Timestamps
- Simple advice if you’re overwhelmed when considering a gap year 00:01:59
- Key questions to ask when trying to decide 00:03:58
- Overall strategy when you have decided to take a travel year 00:07:10
- Why boundaries and routines are so important 00:09:29
- Tips for setting and communicating boundaries and routines 00:12:29
- Ideas for “home school” and natural learning 00:15:03
- How “attunement” helps you get into the child’s world 00:17:51
- More natural learning tips for finding opportunities to teach 00:19:58
- Why the concern of kids “falling behind” in school might not be that bad 00:22:35
- How to make this experience a memorable, positive, and growth oriented experience 00:24:25
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them 00:26:41
- Myths about a travel/gap year 00:28:28
- Final advice 00:29:38