Most people have heard of homeschooling, when families choose to skip the typical education system and teach their children themselves.
Roadschooling is similar….it’s basically homeschooling while traveling. It’s a term that covers a lot of different styles from Worldschooling to Unschooling, and it’s an overwhelming topic for parents.
Today we are speaking with Caroline Makepeace from yTravelBlog.com. Caroline, her husband, and 2 daughters have been traveling the world and roadschooling for most of the kid’s lives and she has a lot of experience.
She has tips for choosing a style of homeschooling, find help with a curriculum, tackling the social aspect with kids, and more.
Selected Links from the Episode
- Caroline on Twitter
- yTravelBlog on Twitter
- https://hslda.org/legal Is great for finding homeschool regulations and laws for each state
- Bloom’s Taxonomy – Understanding this will help you apply learning to any situation and focus on higher order thinking skills to help children learn how to solve problems, think for themselves, find connections and relevance, create and be able to reframe, refine, and evaluate.
- https://www.k12.com/ is free online public school with curriculum. It’s quite rigid though as in normal school
- Reading Eggs and Math Seeds is a fantastic resource, especially for younger kids
- Khan Academy
Show Notes & Timestamps
- Overview of Caroline’s background in education and travel 00:01:18
- Caroline’s overall strategy for home schooling 00:02:39
- A critical first question: “What do you hope to achieve?” 00:03:24
- Experience with more rigid system 00:05:48
- On different styles of home schooling 00:07:18
- Why “doing less” accomplished more 00:08:36
- How her youngest daughter taught herself to read 00:10:06
- Meeting education standards and “benchmarks” 00:11:32
- Dealing with state regulations 00:12:25
- “Unschooling”…what is it? 00:14:29
- Testing 00:14:52
- Tips for scheduling your days 00:15:44
- Social life and homeschooling your kids 00:18:01
- Finding groups for support 00:19:07
- Her biggest challenges with home schooling 00:20:59
- What Caroline wishes she knew when starting 00:23:02
- Common mistakes people make when home schooling 00:24:08
- The myth that home schooling is “The Answer” 00:24:57
- Favorite resources for home schooling 00:26:27
- Final key tips 00:28:29