The Department of State recently published an excellent guide for students abroad, describing what documentation to take with you, what to do in an emergency, and more. This is excellent information for Fullbright scholars, students on cultural exchange and Gilman Scholarship programs.
When traveling far from home, it’s important for students and parents to ensure that the student has health insurance and evacuation coverage at a minimum. Sure, you don’t expect to spend your time in the doctor’s office or hospital, but if you get sick or hurt on your trip, a trip to the local emergency room can run into the tens of thousands of dollars and a medical evacuation could cost over $50,000.
Check out this Medical Information for Americans Abroad brochure for more details.
Student Travel Insurance Plans
Here are just a few travel insurance plans designed specifically with students in mind. These plans are designed to meet the requirements of university and study-abroad programs:
- Liaison Student from Seven Corners – ideal coverage for students for up to 12 months (renewable for additional semesters). Coverage for spouse and children, comprehensive major medical and affordable premiums.
- Study USA HealthCare from Travel Insurance Services – for U.S. and non U.S. students, this is basic medical coverage for those who are studying abroad.
- Student Health Advantage from IMG – annually renewable, comprehensive major medical coverage for students to meet visa requirements. Includes coverage for political evacuations and a universal prescription drug discount program.
- Patriot T.R.I.P. Student from IMG – travel protection for a student’s non refundable trip costs, including deposits, flights, and more. This is a cost-conscious travel insurance plan with essential coverage for U.S. students.
- Global Student USA from HTH Worldwide – major medical for non U.S. students in the United States for educational or research purposes. Offers good medical maximums and reasonable deductibles in addition to a few global travel benefits.
- Global Student USA Preferred from HTH Worldwide – major medical with high limits for non U.S. students in the United States for education or research positions. Includes coverage for in- and outpatient treatment, intensive care, hospital room and board, and more. Global travel medical benefits as well.
- U.S. Student Abroad from HTH Worldwide – essential major medical coverage up to $100,000 for U.S. students traveling outside their home country. Global travel medical benefits, including emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, and bedside visits.
- Plus Scholastic from FrontierMEDEX – provides emergency medical evacuation and repatriation for students and faculty who are traveling over 100 miles from home. Ideal for those who have health insurance and need evacuation coverage.
Of course, these are just the plans specifically marketed to and for students. Many of the travel insurance provider’s travel medical plans will be adequate for students as well.