- Dress appropriately. If the locals aren’t in swimsuits at the bar, then you shouldn’t be either. Keep your shirt on when you’re not on a beach or by the swimming pool. The locals appreciate and may even expect it.
- Don’t look like a tourist. You’ll be taken more seriously and you’ll melt into the crowd. Remember how frustrated you get when you encounter tourists in your home town? Make an effort to blend in.
- Don’t act like a tourist either. Every country has had it’s share of drunken, loud-mouth, and rude tourists. You’re in another state or another country – be considerate and remember that a smile goes a long way.
- Follow healthy eating and drinking protocols. You know these rules, especially in third world countries – boil it, peel it, cook it, or step away from it.
- Getting lost isn’t the worst thing that can happen. In fact, it’s often the quickest way to a load of local fun, so go with it. You don’t have to see everything, but you really should enjoy the heck out of your travel experience.
- Learn how to pack like a professional. You are not always going to land somewhere that has on duty bellhops to cater to your every whim. If you can’t carry it yourself, don’t pack it. Besides, aren’t you sick of paying the airline baggage fees yet?
- Pay attention to immunization requirements, travel warnings, and health alerts. Have a little stroll through our Tips and Advice for planning advice, health advice, and security concerns while traveling.
- Learn how to use chopsticks. You’d be surprised how many folks are impressed when you display any skill with these unique eating utensils. Of course, those same people will look on with pity if you ask for cutlery.
- Learn a little of the local language and lingo. It’s a great ice-breaker and always appreciate even if it’s done badly, but with good intent. There are a number of mobile apps that can help with translations and reliable travel books will have a useful list.
- Get a little travel insurance, please? Well, you’ve heard a number of horror stories and you are simply mad to risk your financial security, your health, or your luck.
How to save money and find the best travel insurance
Use a comparison tool to get quotes for all plans, easily compare, and buy online
- 1. Click the big orange button below: This will take you to the comparison tool
- 2. Enter your trip details: Dates, travelers, cost, etc...then click the Quote Now button
- 3. Use the tools to narrow your choice: Use the Filtering and Compare features to pick a plan
- 4. Buy online: After selecting a plan, use a credit card to securely enroll online
- 5. Rest assured: Instant confirmation of coverage and 10 Money Back guarantee