Cruise travel insurance needs to cover specific needs. You need to catch the departing ship, you’re far from land while underway, and your visiting foreign ports.
Cruise Travel Insurance coverage
Our analysis found 3 companies for cruise travel insurance with the most important coverages for this type of trip:
- High evacuation coverage – at least $500,000
- Trip interruption coverage – for up to 150% reimbursement of unused travel costs
- Missed connection coverage – in case you miss the departure
- Financial default coverage – in case the cruise operator or other supplier ceases service
- ‘Cancel for any reason’ available – because you just never know
Cruise travel insurance companies
TinLeg plans are economical, yet have good coverage. As you can see, hurricane coverage kicks in after any delay, instead of having an hour minimum. There is no deductible for emergency medical. Overall these are great plans because they offer a great value.
Travel Insured is good for cruises because it covers NOAA Warnings for hurricanes instead of needing the hurricane to actually strike. This greatly expands your coverage.
IMG is a premium choice for their included Cancel For Work Reasons coverage, as well as the NOAA Warning coverage above.
TinLeg- Best Value Pick
- Luxury plan includes Cancel For Work Reasons coverage
- No deductibles for emergency medical coverage
- Hurricane coverage kicks in after a delay of any length of time, where many policies have a minimum number of hours
- Plans: 1)Economy is a basic plan, and 2)Luxury has more coverage and options
Travel Insured- Best Overall Pick
- Covers hurricane warnings: Great for hurricane-related travel (during the season or to hurricane-prone areas). They don’t just cover delays or damage from hurricanes, but also NOAA warnings. This greatly increases your coverage.
- Has coverage to pay for the cost of re-booking miles or rewards points if you need to cancel
- Change Fee coverage pays for costs of needing to change itinerary
- Plus plan can cover Interrupt For Any Reason
- Covers non-medical evacuation, such as political unrest, State Dept. issues statement, etc.
- Plans: Good-Better-Best plan selection again with 1)Worldwide Trip Protector Lite, 2)Worldwide Trip Protector, and 3)Worldwide Trip Protector Plus
IMG- Premium Pick
- All plans cover Cancel For Work Reasons if purchased soon enough
- All plans cover Hurricane Warnings if purchased early enough. Hurricane coverage usually required actual damage or cancelled flights, but this expands coverage to NOAA warnings which is great
- Their LX plan offers good ‘luxury’ benefits like covering adventurous activities, rental car damage, non-medical evacuation, Cancel/Interruption For Any Reason. These are usually optional upgrades. Does not, however, cover Pre-Existing conditions.
- Plans: Again, the Good-Better-Best format with 1)Travel Lite, 2)Travel SE, and 3)Travel LX.