The Good: Coverage includes damage to a rental car due to collision, vandalism, weather, or fire and covers the cost of repairs up to the policy limit in addition to the rental charges imposed by the rental car company while the vehicle is being repaired. This plan is offered at two levels: one for $7 per day and one for $9. Both plans cost far less than the coverage offered at the rental counter and both cover loss of use charges.
The Drawbacks: Coverage is not available to residents of all U.S. states. Important to match the rented vehicle’s replacement cost with the coverage limit in case the vehicle is entirely destroyed. This coverage does not cover theft or stolen vehicles.
The Bottom Line: Car rental coverage offers the insured protection against financial losses due to damage to a rented vehicle while on a business or leisure trip. Unlike the rental coverage offered at the car rental counter, these plans cover loss of use. Unlike your own auto insurance, however, these plans do not pay for property damage, personal injury or liability.
|Car rental||$10,000 or $35,000 ($250 deductible) *|
* Coverage does not apply to passenger vans, trucks, exotic vehicles, off-road vehicles or SUVs.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Coverage is sold on a per-vehicle basis and covers the cost of repairs due to a collision or damage up to the coverage limit.
- Coverage is not dependent upon your health or age.
- Loss of use rental fees are covered.
- Purchase anytime before you sign the rental car agreement.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- This coverage does not provide coverage if the vehicle is stolen, nor does it cover personal items inside the vehicle.
- Standard and expected limitations, including driving under the influence, racing, and illegal activities are excluded from coverage.
- You must cover all of the days you are renting the car.
- Coverage may not be applicable in all destinations (check first).