The Good: Ideal for travelers headed outside their home country for trips of 180 days or less. This short-term travel plan offers multiple coinsurance options, home country coverage, and some package-like benefits to make travel easier.
The Drawbacks: Limited pre-existing medical condition coverage.
The Bottom Line: Comprehensive short-term major medical insurance for U.S. citizens traveling outside their home country and foreign nationals visiting the U.S. Includes some package-like benefits as well as both 24-hour and common carrier AD&D.
|Medical expenses||$50,000 – $1,000,000 ($0 – $2,500 deductible)|
|Emergency dental||$100 ($500 for accidents)|
|AD&D||$50,000 (24-hour)/$10,000 (common carrier)|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
* Reduced plan maximums for those age 65 and older.
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Easy-to-find pricing available right in the plan summary and dependent child rates are very affordable.
- Choose your plan maximum and deductible.
- Continuation of coverage option available if your initial period of coverage is less than 187 days and you return to your home country for at least 30 days.
- Maximum of three deductibles per family per policy period.
- Hospital indemnity up to $150 per night (30 day maximum).
- Includes return of minor children and emergency reunion benefits of $50,000 each (a daily limit of $200 applies to emergency medical reunion benefits).
- Includes lost and delayed luggage benefits of up to $250 (bag delay must be at least 24 hours).
- Trip interruptions are covered up to $5,000 if you have to return home due to the death of an immediate family member or natural disaster causing serious damage to your principal residence.
- Incidental trips to your home country are covered up to $50,000 with a home extension of benefits up to $5,000.
- Includes a natural disaster benefit up to $200 per day for up to 5 days.
- Includes access to Well Abroad, an online information, messaging, and provider network resource for travel medical, political, and cultural information and assistance.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Hazardous sports coverage for hang gliding, water skiing, snowmobiling, and more available as a separate rider.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Coinsurance rates apply for medical care received inside and outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Hospital indemnity available only to those traveling outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Insureds age 70-79 traveling inside the U.S. are limited to a $50,000 medical maximum; insureds age 80 and over traveling inside the U.S. are limited to a $15,000 medical maximum.
- Insureds age 70-79 traveling outside the U.S. are limited to a $100,000 medical maximum; insureds age 80 and over traveling outside the U.S. are limited to a $15,000 medical maximum.
- Coverage for acute onset of a pre-existing condition is limited to those under age 70 and varies depending on the selected medical maximum.
- Includes a $25,000 lifetime maximum for emergency medical evacuation resulting from an acute onset of pre-existing medical condition.