The Good: In a global economy, some people are finding that traveling to another country for medical procedures and treatments is a viable option. Complications can occur, however, and without the security of your insurance back home, travel medical procedure insurance is a good idea. This plan offers coverage for medical complications, medical evacuation, and cancellation coverage for those traveling to receive medical care in another country.
The Drawbacks: This is not a typical travel insurance plan or a typical travel medical insurance plan – it’s highly unique and should be applied only in medical tourism situations.
The Bottom Line: This is the first plan of its type to address the unique needs of medical tourists. Provides coverage for medical complications abroad as well as after you return home. Unique cancellation benefits that cover nonrefundable expenses – even those to the medical facility – if you have to cancel.
|Medical complications||$10,000, $20,000, or $50,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- This plan offers both emergency medical and medical complication coverage with three options for medical complication limits.
- Unique trip cancellation benefit that covers up to $40,000 in nonrefundable trip payments, including those made to the medical facility scheduled to perform your medical treatment.
- Medical evacuation coverage includes repatriation as well.
- Includes $1,000 for lost luggage ($300 per article limit) and $200 for delayed baggage.
- Includes common carrier AD&D of $25,000.
- Includes emergency dental care for accidental injury up to $750.
- Covered reasons for trip cancellation include severe weather, strikes, job loss, terrorism, and more.
- Trip interruption coverage for unused nonrefundable costs if you have to return home.
- Additional expenses coverage up to $150 per day if you must remain hospitalized due to an accident or illness.
- Travel delays and missed connection coverage up to the maximum benefit if delayed more than six hours due to inclement weather, traffic delays, lost or stolen travel documents or money, natural disasters, civil riots, and closed highways.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional flight accident benefits of $100,000, $250,000, or $500,000 available.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Coverage limited to 60 days; the benefit period for covered complications is 180 days.
- Emergency medical evacuation or repatriation due to covered complications from scheduled medical treatment limited to $50,000 (coinsurance of 20% applies).