The Good: This plan addresses the needs of U.S. and non U.S. citizens and their dependents who need temporary medical insurance while traveling for business or pleasure outside their home country. Available for individuals, families, and groups of five or more. Available in daily and monthly rates and renewable up to 24 months. Includes some package-like benefits as well.
The Drawbacks: Coverage for terrorist acts is not available in countries with a U.S. travel advisory issued six months prior to arrival, nor are political evacuations.
The Bottom Line: This plan provides complete emergency medical coverage for your travels with a few extras for travel disasters. With this plan, you can seek emergency medical treatment wherever you are. If in the U.S., use the plan’s provider network to keep out-of-pocket costs to a minimum.
|Medical expenses||$50,000 – $2,000,000 (deductibles apply)|
|Flight accident AD&D||$50,000|
|24/7 assistance services||Yes|
- This plan is unique in that it provides the following:
- Benefit period is six months, renewable up to 24 months after three months of continuous coverage.
- Available for individuals and groups.
- Choose your deductible from $0 – $2,500.
- Plan includes 24-hour AD&D up to $25,000.
- Dental procedures necessary to restore sound natural teeth that are lost or damaged due to an accident are covered up to the maximum limit.
- Political evacuations are covered up to $10,000.
- Coverage for illnesses and injuries caused by acts of terrorism (subject to a $50,000 lifetime maximum).
- Identity theft assistance up to $500 per coverage period.
- Incidental home country trips up to two weeks cumulative are covered.
- Additional natural disaster coverage up to $100 per day for five days is provided in the event the insured is ordered to evacuate by local authorities in preparation for a natural disaster.
- Plan includes up to $5,000 in trip interruption coverage if you are required to return home due to the death of an immediate family member or your principal residence is destroyed.
- Coverage for lost luggage up to a maximum of $250.
- Purchase one additional month of home country coverage for every five months of continuous coverage as an extension of coverage.
- Hospital indemnity is covered up to $100 per night if the insured is hospitalized for a covered reason.
- Fully disclosed pre-existing conditions are covered up to $15,000 maximum for medical expenses and up to $25,000 for evacuation.
- Universal prescription discount program is available with this plan for reduced-cost prescription medicines.
- Register for IMG’s online support service, MyIMGSM, for access to providers, explanation of benefits, status of claims, ID cards, certificate documents, and more.
The following optional coverage is available when you purchase this plan:
- Optional rider for adventure sports for travelers up to age 65 (maximum of $50,000) eliminates the exclusion for adventure sports activities.
- Optional enhanced AD&D available for the primary insured.
- The group version of this plan has an optional leader replacement rider. If the original leader has a medical emergency, their principal residence is destroyed, or a death in family and has to return home, the cost for sending a replacement (up to $3,000) will be reimbursed.
The following are the limitations on this plan’s coverage:
- Coverage must begin within six months of arrival in the U.S. for those age 65 and younger; it must begin within 30 days for those 65 and older.
- Terrorism coverage does not extend to countries where the U.S. government has issued a travel advisory that is in effect six months prior to your scheduled arrival.