The process of buying travel insurance is easy and relatively quick (it takes only a few minutes) once you know what you need.
If you are just starting your research, read our Travel Insurance 101 tutorial to get the basics.
- Use a comparison engine to compare plans
- Compare plans side-by-side to find the best coverage for your trip
- Select a plan
- Enter traveler and trip information (you will need ages of all travelers)
- Enter your credit card payment details
- An e-mail confirmation will be sent with the policy certificate for your review.
Tip: Use the free look period
Be sure to use the 10-14 day free look period to understand the travel plan, what’s covered and what’s not, and the limits of your plan. If changes to the plan are necessary, make those changes as early as possible.
If you think your plan won’t work
If you realize after reviewing the plan certificate that it won’t work for your travel, you can make changes to your plan as long as it’s within the free review period. Call the travel insurance provider hotline to discuss your options and make changes.
If the plan isn’t what you need, you’ll need to cancel the plan during the free look period. After that time, the plan is considered in effect and you’ll be subject to the rules of the travel insurance plan certificate.
After you’ve purchased your travel insurance, be sure to check out our advice on what to take with you.