Sure you can, and if you’re visiting the U.S. it’s almost critical to have it – especially if you need medical care while on your trip. The U.S. has some of the most expensive medical care in the world and if you need any kind of medical treatment while traveling in the U.S., you’ll be grateful you have travel insurance to offset the high cost of medical treatment or an emergency medical evacuation.
Who needs this type of travel insurance plan?
- Students visiting the U.S. or studying in the U.S.
- Family members visiting recent immigrants to the U.S.
- Foreign nationals touring the U.S. on vacation.
- Business travelers visiting the U.S.
Which insurance companies offer policies for non U.S. citizens?
1. Global Underwriters has a policy called Diplomat America that provides coverage for:
- accidents and illnesses
- accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- travel assistance
- emergency medical evacuation (including transportation back to your home country)
- emergency reunion if you are hospitalized and want a family member at your side
- repatriation of remains
- personal safety evacuation
In addition, optional riders for hazardous activities, sports, athletic events, and additional AD&D can be purchased as well
2. FrontierMedex has a number of travel medical plans for foreign nationals visiting the U.S. These plans provide for emergency medical, evacuation, repatriation, AD&D, and more:
- TravMed Choice
- TravMed Global
- TraveMed International
- Medex Plus Scholastic
- Medex Safetrip
3. Seven Corners also has a number of travel insurance policies for foreign nationals visiting the U.S. Some of these plans are:
In addition, Seven Corners also has comprehensive coverage available for new or recent immigrants to the U.S. The plan, called Inbound Immigrant, provides up to five years of protection and includes coverage for emergency medical expenses and emergency medical evacuations.
4. Travel Insured also has several plans that are available to non U.S. citizens, which are primarily medical coverage plans:
- Student Secure – health insurance for students
- Group Secure – major medical insurance for employees working abroad
- IC+ International Term Life – term life insurance for those outside the U.S.