This coverage reimburses up to 100% of your pre-paid, non refundable travel costs when you or a traveling companion are directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to your travel departure. This is a listed covered reason under trip cancellation coverage and trip interruption coverage.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What does Traffic Accident cover?
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
Sarah’s long-time friend, Jessica, was in between jobs and the two of them decided to use the unexpected break in her work schedule to squeeze in a girlfriend weekend in New York. They would see some shows, shop all day, and finally get caught up on everything.
On the morning of their departure, Jessica picked up Sarah so they could carpool to the airport and save on parking fees. Just a few miles from the airport, they were involved in a traffic accident and Jessica had to be taken to a local hospital. Once Sarah knew her friend would recover, she contacted their travel insurance company to cancel their trip. Once they sent the police report to their travel insurance company, a full refund for their pre-paid travel expenses was sent to each of the women who vowed they’d reschedule as soon as they could.
This coverage provides reimbursement (up to the plan limit) for pre-paid, non refundable travel expenses if you are directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to your travel departure.
One plan, the Annual plan by Mondial Assistance, also allows a pre-trip cancellation if you are directly involved in a traffic accident and do not need medical attention, but your vehicle is unsafe to drive and you cannot start your trip.
This coverage ensures that you have pre-trip cancellation benefits in the event you cannot start your trip because of a traffic accident on the way to start your trip.
- The travel insurance company will want documentation of the traffic accident in the form of a police report with your name and the date and time of the accident
- This coverage must be listed as a covered reason for pre-trip cancellation, trip interruption, missed connection, or travel delay coverage to be in effect
- As part of the pre-trip cancellation coverage, this coverage ends when your trip begins
Many, but not all, travel insurance package plans include traffic accidents en route to your trip departure as a covered reason to claim pre-trip cancellation benefits. Travel medical plans do not provide this coverage.
All of the following travel insurance plans include traffic accidents en route to trip departure as a covered reason for pre-trip cancellations. The following table outlines which plans also include trip interruption, missed connections, and travel delays as well.
|Plan||Company||Trip Interruption||Missed Connection||Travel Delay|
|Trip Protector Lite Expanded||Travel Insured|
|Worldwide Trip Protector||Travel Insured|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold||Travel Insured|
|Trip Protector Lite||Travel Insured|
|Airline Ticket Protector||Travel Insured||Yes|
|Adventure Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Sportsman's Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Pack 'n Go||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|My Travel Guard||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Business Traveler *||Travelex|
|RoundTrip Choice||Seven Corners||Yes|
|RoundTrip Economy||Seven Corners||Yes|
|RoundTrip Elite||Seven Corners||Yes|
|Trip Protector||HTH Worldwide|
|Trip Protector Preferred||HTH Worldwide|
|Trip Protect e-Saver||HTH Worldwide|
|Preferred Plus||Global Alert|
|Quick Trip Protector||Allianz||Yes|
|Annual Travel Protection||Allianz||Yes|
|Annual Business Traveler||Allianz||Yes|
* Available as an optional upgrade
- Documentation in the form of a police report will be required to make a claim on this coverage
- Traffic accident en route to your travel departure must be listed as a covered reason for pre-trip cancellation in the policy certificate for this coverage to be in effect
- Some plans include a traffic accident en route as a covered reason for trip interruption, missed connections, and travel delays, but it must be listed in the policy certificate