This travel insurance coverage provides reimbursement for additional meal and hotel expenses incurred when a trip’s departure or return is delayed for a covered reason.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What the airlines owe you when a Travel Delay occurs
What does Travel Delay cover?
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
All through the cold winter, Tony and Beth dreamed of their Jamaica getaway. When the day finally arrived, the first part of their trip started off on time. Landing in Dallas, they heard that an ice storm was moving in and they watched the weather get much worse through their layover.
When the connecting flight was scheduled to leave, the couple was informed that all flights would be delayed at least overnight. Because the delay was considered an ‘act of God’, the airline would not be compensating waiting passengers. Instead of sleeping in uncomfortable airport lounge chairs, however, Tony and Beth had travel insurance that provided reimbursement after a three-hour delay. So, they rescheduled their flight and contacted a local hotel to pick them up from the airport. They had a delicious meal and slept in a warm, comfortable room. It wasn’t Jamaica, but Beth and Tony could make the best of the delay.
Airlines are not required to compensate delayed passengers. They don’t guarantee their schedules and there are many events – like severe weather, air traffic delays, and mechanical issues – that can make it impossible for flights to leave on time. Airlines that fly in the U.S. are not legally obligated to provide any compensation to passengers when a delay occurs.
This coverage reimburses a traveler for reasonable expenses (up to the policy limit) for meals, accommodations, and transportation when the insured is delayed more than a certain number of hours depending on the plan. Travel insurance plans define a per-day maximum limit on reimbursements due to travel delays.
Some of the commonly covered reasons for travel delays include:
- Delays due to common carrier problems, including inclement weather.
- Delays due to lost or stolen passports, money, or other travel documents.
- Delays due to quarantine of you or your traveling companion.
- Delays due to hijacking.
- Delays due to unannounced strikes.
- Delays due to natural disasters.
- Delays due to civil disorder, riots or unrest.
- Delays due to severe weather causing a route to be closed by government officials such as the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
- This coverage is in effect when the insured is en route on the scheduled departure date of their covered trip.
- Benefits due to this coverage cannot duplicate the benefits provided by missed connection coverage.
- Any refunds you receive from your travel suppliers as a result of a delay will be deducted from your travel insurance claim.
Travel insurance package plans, not travel medical insurance plans, provide coverage for travel delays. There are many package plans that provide this type of coverage with varying per-day and policy limits.
|Policy||Company||Minimum delay (in hours)||Per-day limit||Policy limit|
|Custom Luxe Comprehensive||CSA||6||$150||$1,000|
|Global Alert Essentials||Global Alert||8||$100||$500|
|Global Alert Preferred||Global Alert||8||$200||$1,000|
|Global Alert Preferred Plus||Global Alert||8||$200||$1,000|
|No coverage||Global Underwriters|
|TripProtector Preferred||HTH Worldwide||6||No daily limit||$1,000|
|TripProtector||HTH Worldwide||6||No daily limit||$1,000|
|Advantage Asset||MH Ross||8||$125||$625|
|Advantage Complete||MH Ross||8||$250||$1,250|
|Advantage Bridge||MH Ross||8||$200||$1,000|
|RoundTrip||Seven Corners||12||No daily limit||$500|
|RoundTrip Choice||Seven Corners||12||No daily limit||$1,000|
|Travel Select||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$750|
|Travel Select Advantage||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$750|
|Travel Plus||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$1,000|
|Travel Basic||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$500|
|Travel Lite||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$750|
|Travel Max||Travelex||5||No daily limit||$1,000|
|Savvy Traveler||Travel Guard||5||$100||$500|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||5||$150||$1,500|
|Pack 'n Go||Travel Guard||5||$200||$1,000|
|Sportsman's Travel||Travel Guard||5||$150||$1,500|
|Adventure Travel||Travel Guard||5||$150||$1,500|
|Business Traveler||Travel Guard||5||$150||$1,500|
|My TravelGuard||Travel Guard||12||$100||$500|
|Select Basic||Travel Insurance Services||12||$150||$750|
|Select Elite||Travel Insurance Services||12||$250||$1,500|
|Select Plus||Travel Insurance Services||12||$200||$1,000|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold||Travel Insured||6||$200||$1,500|
|Trip Protector Lite||Travel Insured||12||$100||$500|
|Trip Protector Lite Expanded||Travel Insured||12||$100||$500|
|Worldwide Trip Protector||Travel Insured||6||$200||$1,000|
|Airline Ticket Protector||Travel Insured||6||No daily limit||$500|
- Airlines are not required to compensate delayed passengers
- Coverage begins when the insured is en route on their scheduled day of departure
- Coverage includes the unused part of your prepaid expenses
- Each policy has varying delay minimums plus different per-day and policy limits