This coverage provides assistance when roadside travel emergencies like flat tires or breakdowns occur. This coverage consists of non insurance services included with some package travel insurance plans.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What does Roadside Assistance cover?
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
Anne, a high school English teacher, was traveling with six of her students who were to compete in an interscholastic writing and spelling competition. The school administration sponsored a rental vehicle, hotel rooms along the way, and insisted she purchase travel insurance protection with roadside assistance just in case.
On a long stretch of highway in Utah, the van she was driving began to smoke, so Anne pulled over and lifted the hood. Not knowing what to look for or what to do, she called the travel insurance assistance hot-line and was connected with roadside assistance. Luckily, a tow truck was only a half-hour away and the repairman was able to refill the supply of coolant and get them on their way again.
While worldwide travel assistance is the primary 24-hour travel assistance service provided by travel insurance companies, some plans offer roadside assistance services as well. Roadside assistance services are non insurance services included with some travel insurance plans. These services typically include::
- 24-hour towing assistance – this includes towing a covered vehicle to the nearest service facility
- Flat tire assistance – this includes tire replacement services using the covered vehicle’s spare tire
- Oil, fluid or water delivery assistance – this includes bringing an emergency supply of oil, necessary mechanical fluids, or water to the covered vehicle. You will have to pay for the cost of the fluids.
- Fuel delivery assistance – this includes bringing an emergency supply of fuel to the covered vehicle. You will have to pay for the cost of the fuel.
- Lock-out assistance – this includes gaining entry into a covered vehicle if the keys are lost or locked inside.
- Battery assistance – this includes re-starting (jump starting) a covered vehicle when the battery fails.
- Collision assistance – this includes providing assistance to a customer involved in a collision with a covered vehicle. Towing assistance is included if necessary to return the vehicle or take it to a repair facility.
Roadside assistance services are non insurance services included with some travel insurance plans, but the actual services are provided by third-party companies. For example, while you may have your insurance with Travel Guard, Travel Guard will likely subcontract the roadside assistance services to local companies who are in a position to help their customers in various locations. This means that you may initially be contacting your travel insurance provider to inform them of the need for roadside assistance, but after that you will likely be working with a third-party company.
- This coverage is in addition to the worldwide travel assistance provided by travel insurance plans
You will only find this type of coverage in package travel plans. In some plans, this coverage is included as part of the worldwide assistance services, and in some plans it is an optional upgrade.
|Worldwide Trip Protector||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Plus *||Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Basic *||Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Platinum||Travel Guard||with $50 deductible||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|My Travel Guard||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pack n' Go||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Wander Frequent Traveler||Seven Corners||Yes|
|Liaison Silver||Seven Corners||Yes|
|TripProtector e-saver||HTH Worldwide||Yes|
|TripProtector Preferred||HTH Worldwide||Yes||Yes|
|No coverage||Global Underwriters|
|Preferred Plus||Global Alert||Yes||Yes|
|Custom Luxe||CSA Travel Insurance||Yes||Yes|
|Custom||CSA Travel Insurance||Yes||Yes|
* as optional upgrade
** with limited coverage
- This coverage is specific to travelers who will be driving on their vacation
- It is in addition to the standard worldwide travel assistance services offered by travel insurance plans
- This is non insurance services that will likely be provided by third-party companies
- This benefit is not collision coverage, which protects the insured from financial loss as a result of an accident