This coverage provides assistance when an identity theft occurs while you are traveling. This coverage consists of non insurance services included with some package travel insurance plans.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What does Identity Theft Services cover?
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
Mia and her father, Sergey, had long planned a trip to Russia, where he was born and raised. Mia wanted very much to understand her immigrant father’s origins and hear the stories of his childhood.
On their first day touring St. Petersburg, a pickpocket stole Sergey’s wallet. Luckily, they had locked their passports in the hotel room safe, but Mia was worried about her father’s identity being stolen and sold on the black market. She contacted their travel insurance assistance services hot-line and was connected with an identity theft coordinator who was able to contact the credit bureaus to inform them of the theft. The coordinator also told Mia the proper authorities to contact to report the theft and what to do when they returned.
While worldwide travel assistance is the primary 24-hour travel assistance service provided by travel insurance companies, some plans offer help with identity theft as well. Identity theft services are non insurance services provided by some travel insurance plans. These services typically include:
- Ordering and reviewing the credit bureau reports for the insured
- Assisting with investing financial accounts where identity theft is suspected
- Communicate with creditors to ensure they are aware of the potential identity theft
- Identifying and communicating the proper law enforcement to pursue prosecution of criminals
- Reviewing account activity to identify suspicious occurrences
- Obtain and communicate additional resources to help resolve identity theft
Identity theft services are non insurance services included with some travel insurance plans, but the actual services are provided by third-party companies. For example, while you may have your insurance with Travel Guard, Travel Guard will likely subcontract the identity theft assistance services to local companies who are in a position to help their customers in various locations. This means that you may initially be contacting your travel insurance provider to inform them of the potential identity theft, but after that you will likely be working with a third-party company.
- This coverage is in addition to the worldwide travel assistance provided by travel insurance plans
In most cases, you’ll find this type of coverage in a package travel plan; however, some medical plans provide this coverage as well including:
- Liaison Silver by Seven Corners
Some package plans include this coverage as part of their worldwide assistance services, and a few offer it as an optional upgrade.
|Custom||CSA Travel Insurance||Yes||Yes|
|Custom Luxe||CSA Travel Insurance||Yes||Yes|
|No coverage||Frontier MEDEX|
|Preferred Plus||Global Alert||Yes||Yes|
|No coverage||Global Underwriters|
|TripProtector Preferred||HTH Worldwide||Yes||Yes|
|TripProtector e-saver||HTH Worldwide||Yes|
|Liaison Silver||Seven Corners||Yes|
|Wander Frequent Traveler||Seven Corners||Yes|
|Pack n' Go||Travel Guard||Yes|
|My Travel Guard||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Platinum||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes||Yes||with $50 deductible|
|Basic *||Travel Insurance||Yes|
|WorldMed *||Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Plus *||Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Worldwide Trip Protector||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* as optional upgrade
** with limited coverage
- This coverage is in addition to the standard worldwide travel assistance services offered by travel insurance plans
- This is non insurance services that will likely be provided by third-party companies
- We recommend you make copies of important documents to protect your identity when you travel