‘Cancel for work reasons’ coverage is an optional upgrade on some plans which expands the covered reasons for pre-trip cancellations. This coverage provides reimbursement for pre-paid travel costs if the insured has to cancel their trip for a covered reason.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What does ‘Cancel for work reasons’ cover?
Coverage for other work reasons
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
Luke planned a backpacking journey through Switzerland late in the summer. He purchased a travel insurance plan and added the ‘cancel for work reasons’ coverage, but he never expected to have to make a claim.
Early in the summer, however, the company Luke works for went through a round of layoffs and everyone who remained working had to put in extra hours to keep their projects moving forward. All previously approved vacations were revoked and all future vacations were on hold. Luke was able to recover his pre-paid travel costs and save the money for a later trip.
While many policies include cancellations for work conflicts in their trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits, some policies offer a ‘cancel for work reasons’ upgrade that allows trip cancellations for the following work-related reasons:
- You are required to work due to changes in work schedule
- You required to work because you are directly involved in merger, acquisition, product recall, or bankruptcy proceedings
- You are required to work because you place of business is rendered unsuitable as a result of natural disaster, fire, flood, burglary or vandalism
In each situation, you must not have known you would be required to work when you purchase your travel insurance plan.
If you are concerned about having to cancel for work reasons, it’s important to be sure the coverage you buy includes the specific reason you may need. Remember, if the policy doesn’t list the reason specifically, then you won’t have coverage for that situation.
There are a number of additional work-related reasons that may force you to cancel your trip, which are handled separately from ‘cancel for work reasons’.
These reasons include:
- Permanent transfer of employment
- Military duty
- Loss of employment through termination or layoff
If these are important protections for your trip, see Work Conflict Coverage.
- The effective date for trip cancellation coverage begins at 12:01 a.m. on the day the policy is fully paid an in effect
- This coverage ends at the earliest of either: the cancellation of your trip, or the date and time you start your trip
- A written statement by your employer or an officer of your company may be required with your claim, depending on the reason for the claim
Package plans, not travel medical plans, are the policy type to offer ‘cancel for work reasons’ upgrades. Some package plans now include ‘cancel for work reasons’ coverage in their travel package plans, and others offer it as an optional upgrade.
|Policy||Company||Upgrade or included||If purchased within||Policy limit|
|Annual Business Traveler||Allianz||included||$5,000 (annual plan)|
|Deluxe Comprehensive||Allianz||BizPack||150% of insured trip cost|
|Classic Comprehensive||Allianz||BizPack||150% of insured trip cost|
|Global Alert Preferred Plus||Global Alert||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Global Alert Essentials||Global Alert||included *||100% of insured trip cost|
|Global Alert Preferred||Global Alert||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|TripProtector Preferred||HTH Worldwide||included||15 days||100% of insured trip cost|
|Advantage Complete||MH Ross||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Advantage Asset||MH Ross||included *||100% of insured trip cost|
|Advantage Bridge||MH Ross||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Travel Select||Travelex||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Sportsman's||Travel Guard||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Platinum||Travel Guard||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Gold||Travel Guard||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Basic||Travel Guard||included *||100% of insured trip cost|
|Adventure||Travel Guard||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Business Traveler||Travel Guard||included||$2,500-$5,000|
|My Travel Guard||Travel Guard||Cancel for work reasons'||100% of insured trip cost|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold **||Travel Insured||Cancel for work reasons'||30 days||100% of insured trip cost|
|Worldwide Trip Protector **||Travel Insured||Cancel for work reasons'||21 days||100% of insured trip cost|
|Trip Protector Lite **||Travel Insured||Cancel for work reasons'||14 days||100% of insured trip cost|
|Trip Protector Lite Expanded **||Travel Insured||Cancel for work reasons'||14 days||100% of insured trip cost|
|Vacation||TravelSafe||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Custom||TravelSafe||included||100% of insured trip cost|
|Premier||TravelSafe||included||100% of insured trip cost|
* Limited coverage
** Includes transfers of employment
- Some plans include this coverage with their package plans, and some offer it as an upgrade
- The cancellation reason must be specifically listed in the policy for the trip cancellation to be covered
- Other work-related reasons for trip cancellation are described in the Work Conflict Coverage page
- Written statements may be required to back up claims on this coverage