If a medical emergency occurs during your trip:
- Seek medical attention. In the event of a life-threatening emergency, contact local emergency authorities first to receive medical assistance.
- Call your travel insurance provider as soon as possible to inform them of the situation and seek guidance. You can find the contact numbers here.
- Retain all documentation, receipts, medical statements to support your claim later.
Why calling your provider is important
Calling your travel insurance provider as soon as possible in any medical emergency ensures:
- The travel insurance company is aware of your situation and can start procedures to help you, including locating a medical doctor, guaranteeing payment (if that is a plan benefit) and contacting family, friends, even your doctor back home, as necessary.
- There are no surprises when it comes time to make a claim later – especially if you follow the advice of assistance services and retain all your paperwork. Writing down the doctor’s names, dates of treatment, and the facility address may also be useful later as well.
The assistance provider will consult with the attending physician and provide such assistance as they believe is needed in your situation.