As health care costs in the U.S. and Canada continue to rise, some people are seeking medical care abroad – as medical tourists. This type of travel insurance protects medical tourists from unexpected financial losses on a covered trip.
A growing number of people are seeking medical care outside the borders in countries such as Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, India, and others. In most cases, the traveler has pre-paid for their medical treatment, but if they experience medical complications, or have to cancel their trip, this coverage will help them recover their costs and avoid unexpected high medical expenses.
- You have pre-paid for medical treatment and want protection against the high costs due to medical complications.
- You have pre-paid for your trip costs (air fare, lodging, etc.) and want to protect your financial investment in case the trip is cancelled for a covered reason.
- You want evacuation coverage in case you have to be evacuated to another medical facility.
- You want travel medical coverage for incidents unrelated to your medical treatment.
Only a single plan offers medical tourism travel coverage and that plan includes:
- Coverage for for medical expenses due to complications that result from your treatment
- Coverage for trip cancellations if the treatment or trip is cancelled for a covered reason
- Coverage for evacuations if you must be evacuated to another medical facility
- Coverage for unexpected medical costs not related to your treatment
- Coverage for flight accidents while on a covered trip
- Travel delays, missed connections, and lost luggage coverage are also included
Travelers like these should purchase medical tourism travel insurance:
- Travelers seeking medical care abroad and want protection for their pre-paid costs and to guard against unexpected medical costs. A growing segment of the health care market is medical tourism and people in the U.S. and Canada who are seeking medical care abroad need protection against unexpected costs due to medical complications, trip cancellations, and more.
Medical Tourism insurance is highly unique travel insurance and the factors that affect cost are varied. The factors that affect premium cost include:
- Choice of medical complication benefit
- Cost of pre-paid medical treatment
- Total trip costs
For a medical tourism trip with these costs:
- Total trip costs: $4,500-$5,000
- Scheduled medical treatment costs: $2,500-$5,000
- Medical complication maximum: $10,000
The premium would be $466.
You have two options for buying travel insurance – the best option is to compare plans from all companies, get quotes, and purchase your travel insurance plan online:
- Compare plans from all companies: Compare travel insurance plans from all companies, get quotes, and buy online.
- Quote and buy direct: Review the travel insurance companies and plans and purchase directly from the company.
All travel insurance companies include a free look period with a refund that lets you review the plan documentation. If you decide you need something a little different, you can make changes to your policy or cancel it for a refund (minus a small fee).
|Seven Corners||Bordercross Worldwide|
- Medical Tourism plans are highly unique plans customized to very specific traveler circumstances
- Only a single company offers one medical tourism travel insurance plan
- Choose your medical benefit amount
- See this plan review for more information