This coverage provides reimbursement for unauthorized credit card charges, fees to replace passports, and emergency cash advances or transfers to stranded travelers.
|Contents (click to jump down)
What does Passport/Credit Card Services cover?
Important notes about this coverage
What type of policy covers this?
How much coverage does each company provide?
Let us tell you a story
High-school friends, Steve and Bill were taking a backpack trip through South America before they started college. Their parents insisted they get travel insurance when they made their travel plans. When they were robbed in a hostel one evening, the boys were very glad they did.
Their travel insurance company helped wire emergency cash from their parents so the boys would have the money they needed to finish their trip before heading home. In addition, the travel insurance company reimbursed the boys for the cost of replacing their stolen passports so they could re-enter the country.
What does Passport/Credit Card Services cover?
All travel plans provide an emergency assistance hot-line that can help with a variety of travel-related problems such as lost passports and credit cards. This means that you can expect travel assistance services to help you reach the local authorities and assist you in getting your documents replaced.
In addition to those services, some plans provide assistance with the following:
- Reimbursement for losses due to unauthorized use of your credit cards
- Reimbursement for fees to replace lost or stolen credit cards
- Reimbursement for fees to replace a lost or stolen passport
- Emergency cash advance (which you must reimburse)
- Arranging an emergency transfer of funds from home, friends or family
This coverage is separate from the identity theft services provided by many travel insurance plans.
Passports, credit cards, and other travel documents are not typically covered by baggage protection, so it’s important to keep those documents on your person when you travel.
- To be eligible for reimbursement of unauthorized charges to your credit card, you must notify the credit card company immediately and comply with their rules
- Receipts for fees are required for reimbursement
- Emergency cash advances must be reimbursed by the insured (guarantees required)
This coverage is actually quite common, so you’ll find it in vacation package plans, business traveler plans, medical plans, and flight insurance plans.
The following table assumes that each plan has a travel assistance services hot-line to help with questions related to requirements for passport replacement, etc.
|Plan||Company||Credit Card charges||Passport replacement||Cash Advance||Cash Transfer|
|Annual Travel Protection||Allianz||Yes|
|Rental Car Damage Protector||Allianz||Yes|
|Business Traveler Annual||Allianz||Yes|
|Quick Trip Protector||Allianz||Yes|
|Custom Luxe||CSA||Yes||Yes *|
|Essential||Global Alert||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|Preferred Plus||Global Alert||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|Preferred||Global Alert||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|No coverage||Global Underwriters|
|Trip Protector Preferred||HTH Worldwide||Yes||Yes||Yes *|
|Trip Protector||HTH Worldwide||Yes||Yes||Yes *|
|Trip Protector e-Saver||HTH Worldwide||Yes||Yes||Yes *|
|Asset||M.H. Ross||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|Complete||M.H. Ross||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|Bridge||M.H. Ross||Yes **||Yes **||Yes|
|Roundtrip Elite||Seven Corners||Yes **||Yes **|
|Roundtrip Economy||Seven Corners||Yes **||Yes **|
|Roundtrip Choice||Seven Corners||Yes|
|Adventure Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Tee, Tour, and Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|My Travel Guard||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Savvy Traveler||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Pack 'n Go||Travel Guard||Yes||Yes|
|Sportsman's Travel||Travel Guard||Yes|
|Elite||Travel Insurance Services||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Basic||Travel Insurance Services||Yes||Yes||Yes ***|
|Plus||Travel Insurance Services||Yes||Yes||Yes ***|
|Worldwide Trip Protector Gold||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Worldwide Trip Protector||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Trip Protector Lite Expanded||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Trip Protector Lite||Travel Insured||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* Limited to $500 and requires guarantee of reimbursement
** Limited to $50
*** For medical expenses only, not basic travel emergencies
- This coverage provides reimbursement for unauthorized credit card charges and fees related to replacing a stolen passport
- This coverage can also help with emergency cash advances and cash transfers
- This coverage is different from identity theft services, and baggage coverage excludes passports and credit cards
- As always, we recommend you have copies of these important documents to help the travel assistance team (and you!) if they are stolen